Archive for the ‘stamping’ Category

Thank you to Kerrie for a fantastic display and tutorial of her handmade books at the August meeting. Hand stitch book

Following our ‘Messy Day’ on the 5th Saturday in July Kerrie constructed a concertina spine book and led us through the process step by step.

concertina spine book tutorial 1

Pauline went home and made a book:

Gillian shared some of her books:


I also went straight home to make a book out of my papers and finished it on the weekend. My pages were a little loose so I made the holding tabs a little larger than the spine folds to keep them snug. The linen paper I used for the cover was perfect, I just folded it to size so it has a double up along the bottom and one end which has made it stronger:

And here are some teasers of books in process for our GeeTAG exhibition in March 2018 to celebrate 50 years of EGV Geelong Branch and ? years of GeeTAG (we are working out that one).



Read Full Post »

Each 5th Saturday of the month our group rents a large studio space at Shearer’s Arms to do the messy work we cannot do in our normal meeting place. This month we had 5 mini workshops which kept us all extremely busy. Thank you to all those who brought along materials and demonstrated techniques this month-Gillian, Anne, Laurene, Carol and Jo.

First up we coated calico in flour paste and hung to dry, some dried in time to paint, others will have to be finished at home-they will make good show and tell for our May meeting.

GeeTAG 29-4-17

Anne then demonstrated several printing techniques using lino cuts and carved meat trays. Many ways of printing were shared including Pauline’s 2 year old home-made gelli plate. We all had a go at carving a piece of polystyrene meat tray and experimented with various other printing methods.


Experimenting with printing

Next up Laurene demonstrated a very cool technique with sharpies and methylated spirits on lace and fabric. On with more experimenting!

Markers and metho


Carol brought her very large folder of wonderful stencils and demonstrated her technique with brusho powder paints and gelato pigment sticks over stencils. That technique kept everyone busy for a long time as well as borrowing some of her variety of stencil designs.


Last technique was traditional marbling using dyes on fabric. Most of the work here was in preparation of the fabric-washing, scouring and alum soak and the mixing of the carrageenan bath. The first couple of pulls were a little grainy but improved as everyone had a try (photos to come).

Hope to see everyone at our May meeting for stitching on paper.


Read Full Post »

This month’s meeting was entitled colouring cloth and many techniques were shared and experimented with;  dyeing lace, gelli prints, rubbings, stencilling and stamping. Here is a photo montage of the girls at work having fun!

Colouring cloth 1


Colouring cloth 2


Colouring cloth 3


Hope to see you all at the exhibition next week.



Read Full Post »

Here are a few more photos from our Transfer Paints and Lutradur meeting.

Jacqui adding a few splotches:

Drying the paint with a hair dryer:

Free machining around the motifs:

And some of Jill’s beautiful samples:

Thankyou Jill and Shirley for this inspiring workshop.

Read Full Post »

Our August meeting was a cacophony of paint and heat in the kitchen as the textile girls threw themselves in with gusto.

Jill and Shirley brought along some beautiful pieces they had completed as a result of a workshop with Dijanne Cevaal, Pauleen kindly allowed us to use her transfer paints and we shared all sorts of stamps and stencils as we experimented with the transfer paints and ironing onto lightweight lutradur. As the pieces are stitched to completion I will add them to the site.

Here are a few of the photos of the action:

These are some photos of  Shirley’s motifs, begun with Dijanne, and with the FME:

Pauline has been working away on her stitching at home with these fantastic pieces. Pauline painted the background colours onto A4 paper and then painted the images on top freehand before iron transferring to the lutradur:

This final photo is one of mine which made it to the ready for stitching stage. For this I painted a couple of background papers and cut them up before reassembling in a grid on top of the lutradur. The stamps were stamped separately onto paper, cut apart and ironed on afterwards. This is destined to become a cover for my diary. The backing fabric is some that I dyed in a dyeing workshop with Dijanne last year.

Next month, September 11th, Jill and Jo will be helping the group to create nuno felted silk scarves.

A requirements list and info will be emailed shortly.


Read Full Post »